Friday, July 13, 2007

Mehfuz

Long back when someone had told me that good music can give you goosebumps, I was quite skeptical. Today, I can't agree more. For me music in itself is not as potent to cause my skin to erupt as long as I am not under the undue influence of alcohol or am watching a horror movie, (A particular friend would like to claim that I even get scared of the friendly dolphin-like shark from Finding Nemo but that understandly is taking it a bit too far) It is the words which cause the rush of blood to the head.

Mehfuz - Euphoria

Faasle they hazaaron darmiyan,
Waqt ke they hazaaron imtehaan

Fir bhi ban ke nishaan,
Tere honthon ke kisi kone mein,
Hansi ke tarah, main mehfuz hoon

Teri aankhon ke chipe dard mein
Aansoo ki tarah, main mehfuz hoon


I don't know but deep down somewhere these words strike a chord, may be the same one which reading Ruskin Bond does.

Lone Fox Dancing - Ruskin Bond

As I walked home last night
I saw a lone fox dancing
In the cold moonlight.

I stood and watched. Then
Took the low road, knowing
The night was his by right.

Sometimes, when words ring true,
I'm like a lone fox dancing
In the morning dew.

The words above are unlike Ghalibs which to the uninitiated can only cause disappointment. I don't mean to decry him. He probably is the best for all I know but I can't make a lot of sense. I have tried reading Ghalib and have even may be understood a few of his couplets. I have felt good but has it been because of the excitement of deciphering the words (just like the excitement of a school boy of solving a difficult puzzle) or at being able to understand the meaning.

With all due respects to Ghalib and without further ado let me just rest my case by saying that - Simple yet Profound - Euphoria and Ruskin Bond - that is what they are and as far as the rest of us are concerned - Khuda hum sab ko Mehfuz rakhein !!

2 comments:

himanshu agrawal said...

abe.. animated shark ko lekar to maine tumhe kabhi pain naa maara :( mujhe to woh movie yaad hai "vaastu shaastra" :P
haven't read ruskin bond that much but ya some euphoria songs have amazing lyrics.. remember "tum"..

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can bruit about that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is even now a suspect as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with issue of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=registry fast 4.0 ?
I noticed the phrase you suffer with not used. Or you partake of the dreary methods of development of the resource. I have a week and do necheg